Group Legal Counsel
We are Fnatic - born in 2004 into the new world of esports. Since then, our pro-gamers have won thousands of tournaments across more than 20 games, the most of any organisation. Through these achievements, we’ve created a community of over million fans, with 10s of millions watching our pro-gamers compete globally each month.
Our mission is to lead this new world sport into every household through content, products and experiences, becoming the first globally recognised lifestyle brand emerging from esports. We need you to help us achieve this.
Given the explosive of esports and the continued growth of our brand as a whole, we’re in need of the next smart, driven Fnatic to join the ride.
What's the role?
As Group Legal Counsel at Fnatic, you’ll spearhead our legal team, developing and managing our legal function to support efforts across our international entities. There will be a large focus on sports and entertainment matters, and you will also work on a wide variety of commercial, risk management and governance matters that will include managing a range of regulatory, intellectual property, litigation, employment matters, domestic and local company administration, fundraising, investor relations and company secretarial and corporate governance duties (with assistance from outside counsel, where necessary).
Based in our HQ in Shoreditch, no two days will be the same, working cross-functionally with members our Pro-Gaming, Partnerships, Marketing, and Product teams in particular. Reporting to the CEO, This role is a fantastic opportunity for a self-starter to join a rapidly growing organisation in the booming esports industry with a projected value of $1.5bn by 2020, and a global fan base of 113 million and counting.
Your mission is to:
- Manage all domestic (UK) and international legal and regulatory matters across the Fnatic group companies
- Identify areas of risk, and take appropriate action to proactively mitigate risks
- Draft and review legal documentation and contracts in the various areas of our business, such as professional gaming player contracts, employee contracts, sponsorship/partnership contracts, supplier contracts and NDA’s
- Negotiate and agree contractual terms with other parties and liaise with external lawyers and advisors where appropriate
- Identify, set up and manage internal processes to support business governance and compliance resulting in the creation of an internal legal framework
- Develop a close relationship with business stakeholders and act as a business partner to understand needs and objectives. Constructively support the right mind-set and educate stakeholders on the relevance of legal matters. Internal stakeholders will include Finance, Esports, Marketing/ Events, Product development, Partnerships, SCM, Sales, Content and Senior management/Board.
- Manage a small team of interns, and further build in-house counsel expertise to support Fnatic’s global expansion in esports, esports equipment, apparel, content, operations, staff, etc.
- Complete Company Secretarial/Corporate governance duties, including filing and management of board resolutions, cap table management and Companies House/ international regulatory administration
- Assist with investor relations projects, such as negotiation of term sheets for equity investments, reviewing shareholder agreements and subscription documents
- Assist with the construction and negotiation of debt vehicles, such as reviewing loan documents, security agreements and legal opinions
- Manage intellectual property assets
- Manage employee options schemes in various countries
- Manage litigation matters when they arise and liaise with external lawyers.
- Report legal risks and advise on appropriate options/solutions to senior stakeholders/Board
- Advise on corporate communications, reputation management and confidentiality matters
What will equip you for this challenge:
- Degree qualification in law, ideally with a specialisation in sports, entertainment, IP, and/or corporate law
- Extensive PQ experience, gained both in private practice and inhouse
- Broad commercial and in-depth technical knowledge, with experience drafting wide range of commercial contracts and arrangements.
- Fundraising experience,with involvement in Series A/B investments, convertible notes/ASA desirable
- A talent for people management, and an appetite to build a team
- Excellent communication and attention to detail
- Ability to learn fast, able to cope with the requirements of a high-growth business in the 24/7, continuously evolving esports industry
- Ability to critically review, update and amend policies, procedures and precedents with minimal supervision, consulting with stakeholders where appropriate
- Being flexible and willingness to get your hands dirty
- Tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting
- Fluency in non-English languages, ideally German
- Permanent right to work in the UK
What we have to offer
- Work for the largest and most recognisable brand in one of the most exciting and fastest growing industries.
- Enjoy the buzz with an ambitious and super creative team, learning everything about the ins and outs of running a fast paced business.
- A competitive base salary with the potential for options.
- Award winning office in the heart of Shoreditch in London, with 8 other locations around the world.
- Potential for travel for the business around the world.
- A full stack of tech and gear to perform at the office and in game. Friends and Family discounts on our products.