Group Legal Counsel
A little about us
We are Fnatic - born in 2004 into the new world of esports. Since then, our pro-gamers have won thousands of tournaments across more than 20 games, the most of any organisation. Through these achievements, we’ve created a community of over million fans, with 10s of millions watching our pro-gamers compete globally each month.
Our mission is to lead this new world sport into every household through content, products and experiences, becoming the first globally recognised lifestyle brand emerging from esports. We need you to help us achieve this.
Given the explosive of esports and the continued growth of our brand as a whole, we’re in need of the next smart, driven Fnatic to join the ride.
What’s the role?
Spearheading our legal team you will be supporting our efforts across our international entities and responsible for developing and managing the legal function in our organisation. There will be a large focus on sports and entertainment matters. You will also work on a wide variety of commercial, risk management and governance matters that will include managing a range of regulatory, intellectual property, litigation, employment matters, domestic and local company administration, fundraising, investor relations and company secretarial and corporate governance duties (with assistance from outside counsel, where necessary).
Reporting to the CEO this role will vary depending on the needs of the team at the time. Working within a supportive and fast paced environment you will undertake duties spanning all areas and work cross-functionally with Pro-Gaming, Partnerships, Marketing, and Product team members. There are a number of projects planned, therefore you will need strict time management in order to complete alongside your day-to-day tasks.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for a self-starter to join a rapidly growing business supporting one of the top esports organizations and gaining valuable experience in the booming esports industry with a projected value of $1.5bn by 2020 and a global fan base of 113 million and counting.
You’ll relish working on a number of varied projects alongside your day to day legal responsibilities —
- Management of all domestic (UK) and international legal and regulatory matters across the Fnatic group companies.
- Identify areas of risk and take appropriate action to proactively mitigate risks.
- Drafting and reviewing of legal documentation and contracts in the various areas of our business, such as professional gaming player contracts, employee contracts, sponsorship/partnership contracts, supplier contracts and NDA’s.
- Negotiate and agree contractual terms with other parties and liaise with external lawyers and advisors where appropriate.
- Identify, set up and manage internal processes to support business governance and compliance resulting in the creation of an internal legal framework.
- Developing a close relationship with the business stakeholders and act as a business partner to understand the needs and objectives. Constructively support the right mind-set and educate stakeholders on the relevance of legal matters. Internal stakeholders will include Finance, Esports, Marketing/ Events, Product development, Partnerships, SCM, Sales, Content and Senior management/Board.
- Manage a small team of interns and further build in-house counsel expertise to support Fnatic’s global expansion in esports, esports equipment, apparel, content, operations, staff, etc.
- Company Secretarial / Corporate governance duties including filing and management of board resolutions, cap table management and Companies House/ international regulatory administration requirements.
- Involvement with investor relations such as assisting with the negotiation of term sheets for equity investments, reviewing shareholder agreements and subscription documents.
- Involvement with the construction and negotiation of debt vehicles such as reviewing loan documents, security agreements and legal opinions.
- Management of intellectual property assets.
- Management of employee options schemes in various countries.
- Manage litigation matters when they arise and liaise with external lawyers.
- Report legal risks and advise on appropriate options/solutions to senior stakeholders/Board
- Advise on corporate communications, reputation management and confidentiality matters.
Skills we believe are required to be successful
- Minimum 3 years PQE with excellent academics.
- A law degree with preferably a specialisation in sports, entertainment, IP, and or corporate law.
- Broad commercial and in-depth technical knowledge with experience drafting wide range of commercial contracts and arrangements.
- Fundraising experience including involvement in Series A/B investments, convertible notes/ASA would be advantageous.
- Appetite and talent for people management (small team, building teams).
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Flexible attitude and fast learner, able to cope with the requirements of a high-growth business in the 24/7, continuously evolving esports industry.
- Able to critically review, update and amend policies, procedures and precedents with minimal supervision, consulting with stakeholders where appropriate.
- Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting.
Other things you should know
- Based in Shoreditch, London.
- Permanent right to work in the UK required
- Fluency in German would be useful.
What we have to offer
- Work for the largest and most recognisable brand in one of the most exciting and fastest growing industries.
- Enjoy the buzz with an ambitious and super creative team, learning everything about the ins and outs of running a fast paced business.
- A competitive base salary with the potential for options.
- Award winning office in the heart of Shoreditch in London, with 8 other locations around the world.
- Potential for travel for the business around the world.
- A full stack of tech and gear to perform at the office and in game. Friends and Family discounts on our products.